Today my wife pointed out an interesting change in me since the birth of our son. It's actually a change that I observed in myself but I was a little embarrassed to learn that it has been noticed by others as well. For some reason, since Jaden has been around, I sing constantly. That may sound innocent enough but I'm not talking about singing some recent lyrics from the radio. I'd even be forgiving of myself if I was wandering through the house belting out some Celine Dion ballads. No, the singing I've been doing is far more strange than this.
Ever since my son was born three months ago, I've been singing everything. For some reason, if my son is within earshot, I feel compelled to narrate everything I'm doing or thinking...by song! Here are some lyrics you might hear around our house (as sung to the tune of "One little, two little, three little indians")
"Oh, we're walking up the stairs to change your diaper,
we're walking up the stairs to change your diaper,
we're walking up the stairs to change your diaper,
because you just had a blow out!"
I don't know where this sing-songie voice comes from but it was not there four months ago. I feel like I've been thrown into a Broadway musical where I launch into song and dance after every fifteen minutes of dialogue. It's really embarrassing and I am fearful that my new disposition is going to start showing up outside of our home. So, if you happen to see me singing to my son in public, I might feel less ridiculous if you'd please join me on the chorus!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment