Saturday, April 19, 2008

"Be Kind, Please Rewind"

Have you ever stopped to consider how much of your childhood will become historical trivia to the next generation? For example, last night Andrea and I were having a nastolgic (and sobering) moment because we realized that our son will probably never know what it is to rent a movie on video tape. It won't be many years from now before the phrase "Be Kind, Please Rewind" will be lost in the minds of us old geezers who remember the days of VCR's and cassette tapes. Sometimes I wonder if Jaden will ever know how to load film into a camera. Will he need to know how to read a map or will the computer in his car always do the navigating for him? Will he be able to comprehend just how slow dial-up internet really was? Will he believe me when I tell him of a day when Walmart sold stuff that was "Made in the U.S.A."? I'm not sure what things from my past will be foreign to my son but I'm paying attention along the way because someday, I'm going to smoke him at Trivial Pursuit...that is, if they still have boardgames in the future!

2 comments:

Monsieur Rodgers said...

For a more detailed list of what next years college graduating class didn't have a clue about go to: http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2006/08/23/frosh,
Some of this may even be foreign to some of you younger readers. The older you get, the more you will appreciate these lists.

Monsieur Rodgers said...

http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2006/08/23/frosh
For some insight on next years college graduates and their perspective one what us older people know.